• There is no age limit for this competition
• Applicants may not have made a debut recital
in any major New York City venue
• Previous winners may not apply
• All songs must be sung from memory
• No arias (e.g., from opera/operetta/oratorio/cantata),
musical theatre or ‘pop’ songs
• Transpositions are permitted
• Joy in Singing encourages applicants to provide their own pianist;
however, upon request we will provide one for the preliminary audition.
Applicants advancing to the Semi-Final and Final Rounds must perform
with the same pianist in both rounds.
Applicants must agree to be bound by the competition rules
Joy in Singing reserves full rights to any media recorded during the competition.
The competition jury decisions are final
September 11, 12, 13, 16, 17 2022
• Please select five songs from the art song repertoire, in at least three languages.
• At the audition, Applicants will select the first two songs;
the judges may then ask for additional selections from the Applicant’s list
APPLICANTS WILL BE NOTIFIED VIA EMAIL NO LATER THAN
SEPTEMBER 25 IF THEY HAVE ADVANCED TO THE SEMI-FINALS
SEMI-FINAL AND FINAL ROUND RULES:
Applicants chosen for the semi-finals are required to submit the
20 minute semi-finals program and 30 minute finals program,
headshot & short bio (150 words) for both the Singer and Pianist
no later than October 9, 2022
Applicants shall provide both programs in performance order, including texts and translations. Original translations are preferred, but existing translations may be used
if appropriate credit for their use is provided.
The semifinals will take place the week of October 10, 2022
• Semi-finalists will perform a 20-minute art song program, which may include material from the preliminary auditions. The program will be performed without
interruption, or additional requests from the judges
The Competition Jury will select up to six finalists from the Semi-Final Round
Finals take place during the first week of November, 2022
The Final round is open to the public, free of charge.
• Finalists will perform a 30-minute program of material
not heard in the preliminary or semi-final rounds.
There are no set programming requirements,
and the judges will not interrupt the performance.
Finalists may, at their option, intersperse with their songs up to 10 minutes of
spoken passages about themselves, their song selections, the composers and
poets, or any other topic that communicates their artistic intent. Please note that
spoken interludes are not required, but JIS encourages contestants to reveal
their artistic personalities through both spoken and sung words.
The 30-minute program limit includes both song and spoken passages.
PRIZES WILL BE AWARDED FOLLOWING THE FINAL ROUND
APPLICATION DEADLINES AND FEES
Auditions will be scheduled on a "first come, first served" basis.
Applications will be accepted until June 30, 2022
via the online application portal.
Application fee:$50 early submission until June 15
$65 June 16-June 30, 2022
payable using PayPal (secure)
Please pay the fee using the button below.
When your transaction completes,
click the "return to merchant" button at the bottom of your payment confirmation page.
The "return to merchant button" will send you to the application form.