The Application Period for the
2022 International Art Song Competition is Closed
• There is no age limit for this competition
• Applicants may not have made a debut recital
in any major New York City venue
• Previous winners may not apply
• All songs must be sung from memory
• No arias (e.g., from opera/operetta/oratorio/cantata),
musical theatre or ‘pop’ songs
• Transpositions are permitted
• Joy in Singing encourages applicants to provide their own pianist;
however, upon request we will provide one for the preliminary audition.
Applicants advancing to the Semi-Final and Final Rounds must perform
with the same pianist in both rounds.
Applicants must agree to be bound by the competition rules
Joy in Singing reserves full rights to any media recorded during the competition.
The competition jury decisions are final
September 11, 12, 13, 16, 17 2022
Note: Due to the nature of live performance, auditions are live. We do not accept video submissions.
• Please select five songs from the art song repertoire, in at least three languages.
• At the audition, Applicants will select the first two songs;
the judges may then ask for additional selections from the Applicant’s list
APPLICANTS WILL BE NOTIFIED VIA EMAIL NO LATER THAN
SEPTEMBER 25 IF THEY HAVE ADVANCED TO THE SEMI-FINALS
SEMI-FINAL AND FINAL ROUND RULES:
Applicants chosen for the semi-finals are required to submit the
20 minute semi-finals program and 30 minute finals program,
headshot & short bio (150 words) for both the Singer and Pianist
no later than October 9, 2022
Applicants shall provide both programs in performance order, including texts and translations. Original translations are preferred, but existing translations may be used
if appropriate credit for their use is provided.
The semifinals will take place
Wednesday October 12 and Thursday October 13, 2022
3-6 PM at Opera America
• Semi-finalists will perform a 20-minute art song program, which may include material from the preliminary auditions. The program will be performed without
interruption, or additional requests from the judges
The Jury will select up to five finalists from the Semi-Final Round
Semi-final Jury :
Maestra Eve Queler; Patrick Dillon, arts critic; Howard Watkins, pianist
Kate Hurney, Deborah Surdi (Joy In Singing Board)
Final round is November 3, 2022 from 6-10 PM at Marc Scorca Hall
330 Seventh Avenue, New York, NY 10001
The Final round is open to the public, free of charge.
• Finalists will perform a 30-minute program of material
not offered in the preliminary or semi-final rounds.
There are no set programming requirements,
and the judges will not interrupt the performance.
Finalists may, at their option, intersperse with their songs up to 10 minutes of
spoken passages about themselves, their song selections, the composers and
poets, or any other topic that communicates their artistic intent.
Please note: spoken interludes are not required, but contestants are encouraged
to reveal their artistic personalities through both spoken and sung words.
The 30-minute program limit includes both song and spoken passages.
Maestra Eve Queler; Harolyn Blackwell, soprano; Craig Rutenberg, pianist;
Fred Cohn, Opera News; Deborah Surdi, Joy In Singing Board
PRIZES WILL BE AWARDED FOLLOWING THE FINAL ROUND